At Chase Lodge Hospital, we know the importance of maintaining a healthy immune system to help fight off infections and diseases. While there are plenty of supplements and medications available to boost immunity, there are also many natural ways to enhance your immune system.
10 surprising ways to boost your immune system naturally
- Get Enough Sleep – Sleep is crucial for your body’s natural healing process, as it allows your immune system to rest and recharge. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night to help keep your immune system strong.
- Stay Active – Regular exercise can help increase the production of white blood cells, which are essential for fighting off infections. Even a 30-minute walk or light workout can help boost your immune system.
- Manage Stress – Stress can weaken your immune system, so it’s important to find healthy ways to manage it. Try relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, or deep breathing exercises to help reduce cortisol levels.
- Eat a Balanced Diet – A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein can help provide your body with the nutrients it needs to support a strong immune system. Make sure to include plenty of vitamin C-rich foods, such as citrus fruits and leafy greens.
- Stay Hydrated – Drinking enough water can help flush toxins out of your body and keep your immune system functioning properly. Aim for at least 8 glasses of water per day.
- Get Enough Vitamin D – Vitamin D is essential for a healthy immune system, and many people don’t get enough of it. Spend time in the sun (with sunscreen, of course) or take a vitamin D supplement to help boost your levels.
- Wash Your Hands – Frequent hand washing can help prevent the spread of germs and infections, which can help keep your immune system strong.
- Laugh More – Laughter has been shown to reduce stress and boost the immune system. Watch a funny movie or spend time with loved ones to help increase your laughter levels.
- Try Probiotics – Probiotics can help support the growth of healthy bacteria in your gut, which can improve your immune system function. You can find probiotics in foods such as yoghurt or take a supplement.
- Get Enough Zinc – Zinc is essential for a healthy immune system, and can be found in foods such as oysters, beans, and nuts. Consider taking a zinc supplement if you’re not getting enough in your diet.
There are many natural ways to boost your immune system and keep it strong. By incorporating these tips into your daily routine, you can help support your body’s natural defence system and improve your overall health. If you have any concerns about your immune system or would like to schedule an appointment, please contact our reception via our “Contact” page.