Dr Olga Kapellou
MD, FRCPCH, DCH
Consultant Paediatrician & Neonatologist
Paediatrics and Neonatal Medicine, newborn expert
Dr Olga Kapellou is a Consultant Paediatrician in London with extensive experience in her field. She became a Member of the Royal College of Paediatric and Child Health in 2000 and a Fellow in 2010. She specialises in newborn babies and infants, including follow up of babies after complex pregnancies and deliveries. She follows up children throughout childhood.
She worked in a number of major London teaching hospitals including Great Ormond Street, Hammersmith, St Mary's Paddington, Queen Charlotte's, Chelsea & Westminster and University College London.
She holds a Doctor of Medicine postgraduate degree from Imperial College London, awarded in 2010. Her publications on effects of prematurity on brain growth and development have been cited extensively. She is an expert on preterm and term neonatal brain injury with numerous publications including coauthorships in the New England Journal of Medicine.
She provides Paediatric services for all ages. She uses Griffiths Neurodevelopmental Scales to track infant development in outpatient clinics. She is a Neonatal Life Support instructor and Unicef trained breast feeding specialist.
She was appointed as NHS Consultant at the Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in 2009. She established her private practice in 2010.
- Dr Olga Kapellou does General Paediatric and baby clinics .
- She holds clinics at Chase Lodge Hospital
- Newborn problems
- Early Jaundice
- Prolonged jaundice after 14 days from birth
- Cord separation, umbilical granuloma
- Suboptimal weight gain after birth
- Establishing breast feeding
- Noisy breathing in babies
- Growth and development
- Follow up of babies following high risk pregnancies and deliveries, ie pregnancy complications, IVF
- Intrauterine growth restriction babies
- Tracking of milestones
- Full neurodevelopmental assessments 0-2 years.
- Poor weight gain and faltering growth
- Behavioural issues, food aversion
- Weaning timing and advice
- Vitamin D and iron status in babies
- General problems
- Excessive crying
- Sleeping problems
- Plagiocephaly, flat head syndrome, abnormal head shape
- Floppy airways, inspiratory noises
- Noisy breathing, gagging, coughing, wheezing
- Bowel/ Gastrointestinal symptoms
- Gastroesophageal reflux, Cow's milk protein allergy, colics, diarrhoea and vomiting, constipation
- Early weaning advice, general solid introduction food and options
- Kidney problems
- Antenatal diagnosis of renal pelvis dilatation
- Skin disorders
- Early eczema, baby rashes, dry skin, lumps, bumps, glands
- Abnormal movements
- Term and preterm brain injury
- COVID 19 related questions in infants, bronchiolitis, early infections
- Frequent infections
- Routine check ups, newborn and 6 week checks